- 8 Fresh Mackerel Fillets
- 8 Bay Leaves
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Dry Cider
- 25g/1oz Butter
- 450g/1lb Fresh Rhubarb, chopped
- 1/2 teasp Lemon Juice
- 50g/2oz Brown Sugar
- A Pinch of Nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas mark 4.
- Season the fillets with salt and pepper then place a bay leaf on each fillet and roll up.
- Place the fish rolls in a shallow ovenproof dish, pour over half the cider and dot with the butter. Cover with aluminium foil or a lid and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining cider, rhubarb, lemon juice, brown sugar and nutmeg in a pan. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring from time to time, until soft and puréed.
- To serve - transfer the fish to a warmed serving platter, drizzle some of the rhubarb sauce over the top of the fish and serve the remaining rhubarb sauce separately. Serve hot.
- Read More >>