Miso soup is always made by combining hot dashi with your choice of miso paste. In Japan miso soup is not just eaten at dinnertime, many people have as the first meal of the day a cup full of hot miso soup! All you need to prepare this healthy and delicious treat is a small sieve and a pot.
- 3 cups dashi (see basics for preparation method)
- 1/4 cup miso (either red or white miso)
- 1 teaspoon of wakame seaweed, chopped fine (optional)
- 1 slice of tofu an inch long and half an inch wide, finely diced into cubes
- 2 teaspoons of very finely chopped green onions
Put the dashi in a saucepan or small pot and bring to a near boil. Place the miso into a small hand held sieve, dip it into the dashi in order to moisten, and then with a spoon, stir and push the miso through the sieve. Continue dipping and stirring until all the miso is dissolved into the dashi. Add the tofu and allow to simmer. Serve the soup into a lacquer bowl and garnish with the chopped onions.