Gulai is a popular dish in Indonesia, especially in Central Java and Sumatera. Gulai in Central Java is usually made from goat meat that contain high collesterol and fat. Some One is also hate the smell of goat meat. Based on it, gulai that made from cow meat was created. In common opinion, cow meat is more healthy than goat meat. Beside that, it's also nutral smell.
Gulai has itself character depend on the some community desire. In central java, Gulai was made visciously, tasty, and a little bit sweet. There is an unique gulai in Solo, Central Java. Meat and Other ingredient of gulai was fried and also serve separately from the sauce. It has an unique tasty because the meat was made crunchy.
Meat and entrails of Cow are main ingredient of gulai. We should choose cam meat for gulai, because of the cooking time of gulai is too long. If we choose soft meat, it will be destroyed during the cooking process.
In East Java, we'll find the different type of gulai. It's light sauce and more spicily. The influence of middle east tasty was strong as same as gulai in North Sumatera and Aceh.
We'll also meet other type of gulai in Sumatera. Gulai was used some various of basic ingredient, like bamboo shoot, entrails,meat, fern, cassava lea, jiringa, and petai.
- 400 gr Meat
- 1 piece of pounded lemon grass
- 2 pieces of turmeric leaf
- 2 cm of pounded galingale (lengkuas in indonesia)
- 750 ml thick coconut milk
- 1.000 ml light coconut milk
- 1 tea spoon of brown coconut sugar (gula jawa in indonesia) - sliced
- 2 pieces of cardamon (kapulaga in indonesia)
- 4 pieces clove
- 1/4 tea spoon of cumin seeds (Jintan in indonesia)
- Blend ( 12 pcs red chilli, 7 red onions, 3 garlic, 2 tea spoons