- Pastry for double crust 9-inch pie shell
- 1 cup (250 mL) Thompson dark raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup (250 mL) corn syrup (grease cup before measuring)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
How to Make Canadian Butter Tarts?
Line tart tins with pastry. Preheat oven to 450 F. In a heavy saucepan, combine raisins, butter, sugar, syrup and salt. Set over low heat until butter is melted and mixture is warm, stirring to dissolve sugar. Don't let mixture get hot. Remove from heat and stir in eggs and vanilla. Spoon filling into pastry-lined tart shells, filling each 2/3 full. Bake in 450 F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F and bake five minutes more or until pastry is golden. Don't let filling bubble over pastry or you will have trouble getting the tarts out of the pans. Let cool before removing from pans.